Wednesday, June 29, 2011

grateful for my quilting friends!

Thank you for all of your wisdom these last few weeks in particular. The very smart Caro gave me lots and lots of ideas this afternoon -- thank you Caro! (Thank you, flour, for the amazingly tasty deliciousness. It may be good that I've had to go gluten-free because I could otherwise take one of everything in their baked goods section. Giant Oreos? Mm. Chocolate cupcakes with vanilla frosting? MMMMM!)

I'm working on a couple of sewing projects but am feeling dissatisfied with my low-quality camera. I like pretty shots of fabric. But, ah, well. I'll make do. This quilt is for my cousin, who's heading off to college soon and likes pink!




I made the circle with scraps from Laurie -- thank you again, Laurie!! It was fun to do so much handwork with that giant circle. I started out thinking I was going to piece all the scraps into a rectangle, then got sick of making a rectangle and cut those pieces and sewed them into this giant circle. I never use patterns because a) I have a long-standing fear of math, and b) I like to feel free to do whatever I like when I'm sewing, and patterns feel confining.

The backing and binding of this are really my favorite parts -- Laurie can tell us what the voile on the back is, I betcha.

I also free-motion machine quilted it on my teensy tiny Janome (the smallest one they make), so I always feel proud that I've mashed a quilt through that process...(but I can't wait for the day that I have a bigger machine as an option, too!)

Now, I'm working on an all-blue shot cotton quilt (with the Kaffe Fasset shot cottons). And a big queen-sized quilt for myself, and another queen for a family member. How to tug a queen through my little Janome...? I may have to make a visit to Laurena's in Burlington and use her larger free-motion machine.



1 comment:

  1. The quilt is awesome and your cousin is very fortunate!!!! I am so glad that you made good use of those scraps - I will make sure to give you more in the future. Sounds like you have a lot of good projects going on!

    ReplyDelete